Out of Chaos

Poetry is a sort of therapeutic tool for me but not one that I chose because it seems to have picked me.  I just need to answer the call. Whether the poems are good or not is immaterial because it does me some good just to play around with the words and put them out there. Poems have the power to crack open the safe where you locked up some inconvenient feelings several decades ago. Poems can be the safe place to carry your feelings when they are too much to bear. They can catch the thread of a thought and pull you somewhere you never could have imagined without them. They have the power to both unsettle me and restore some order to my thinking.

With Valentine's Day safely behind us, maybe I can get back to thinking about more practical matters but first, I had to write these two poems.

Invoke Eros

Say the sweet words
Low in my ear
Breathe

Stand behind me now
Run your hand across
My collarbone

Kiss my neck three times
I'll run my fingers across your brow
And take you in

Feel your weight on me
Hands pinned down
Above my head

Say my name
I'll say yours
Again and again and again

-written February 17, 2020

Please, Artemis

Hunt down this sickness in my heart
Take bow and arrow and be the remedy

Rid me of this thing that is
stronger than my will

I cannot eat
My body is electric

Ignore my pleas to Eros

-written February 17, 2020






Comments

Popular Posts