Evening sun, early fall

I'm currently sitting in the Gladstone hotel bar; not the one where pop star hopefuls sing karaoke on Saturday nights, but the nicer one that gets the early evening sun at 6:10 on September 22nd. I love the evening sun when the shadows are long and the light is golden.

I've got a glass of Lailey chardonnay and I'm waiting for my husband of exactly one year to join me. We were, in fact, married at the Gladstone and this moment is characterized by that feeling of time having gone by so fast and that feeling of distance - of how far you have come in that same space of time. How can those two opposing feelings ever exist at the same time? I love that feeling because it keeps me guessing.

I suppose we are somewhat nostalgic to come here for a drink on our anniversary, but I find that revisiting the same place time and again helps to show you just how far you have come. It is a way to know yourself better.

I'm about to embark on another journey that will take me back to a place that I was over five years ago: I'm going to go to Italy with my husband next month and let me tell you, I already know I've come a long way, baby. Despite the differences between the me of then, and the me of now, it just occurred to me that the trip might highlight the me that remains the same. The essential me. I'm very excited that I can share all of this with the man that I'm on this journey with. The one who has just walk through the door...

Comments

Popular Posts