Walking is Free

On Monday I decided to go for a long walk and I ended up in High Park. It was a gorgeous day, the sun was shining, the leaves were yellow on the trees and there were many more on the ground to shuffle through with your feet. Their smell was sweet and earthy. You could hear the soft trickle of a stream through the woods. You could also hear the sound of traffic on Parkside Drive and Bloor Street, but thems the breaks.

While in the park it occurred to me that I had only been in High Park less than a handful of times (not counting trips in for Shakespeare in the Park) since I moved to Toronto in 2002. Then I thought of all the other places I either have not seen or have neglected for a while in this city. When I travel I explore the places I visit on foot; it's educational exercise! A walking pace really lets you take in and learn more about your surroundings. Why should I not apply this to the city that I live in?

After last week's election I may have wanted to move out of this city, but that would have been rash. Instead, why not embrace what this city has to offer? I'm not tied to a desk five days a week at the moment, so there is no reason why I can't arrange my schedule to be out and about enjoying the various neighbourhoods during the day.

Conveniently my gym membership ran out recently and I am faced with the challenge of fitting in fitness free of cost. Walking is free! I like walking and all it has to offer apart from fitness of body. Plus, you can do it in stylish clothing accessorized with hats and scarves. Well, at least until the snow flies - then it becomes an extreme sport.

PS:
I've had this book on the to read list for a while and will start it this week

Comments

Popular Posts